Bologna's Municipal Theater officially opened its doors on 14 May 1763 with the world premiere of Christoph Willibald Gluck's “The Triumph of Clelia”.
Strategically located in a central area of the city, today the Theatre is a Foundation and produces a hundred shows a year, divided between the Sala del Bibiena and the Teatro Manzoni auditorium. Built to accommodate the Italian melodrama, the Municipal Theatre was immediately established as the largest theatre in the capital city of Italian opera, home to an impressive number of agents, impresarios, singers, ballerinas, instrumentalists, designers, scenery and costume hire companies.
The Municipal Theatre has taken its productions over the years to the major Italian, European and international festivals and has starred on many leading international stages.
Alfasigma has supported the Cultural and the Operatic activities of the Municipal Theatre for many years, backing many of the theatre’s opera productions and supporting the foundation with ad hoc projects. These include the creation of the Acoustic Chamber that has enabled the Theatre to bring back to the Sala del Bibiena a substantial part of the Theatre’s symphonic production and the new technological and multimedia facilities in the Respighi and Rossini foyers and the hall. These projects allow the Theatre to invest in the future, to increase the use of theatre’s spaces both for musical and theatrical purposes and for promotional purposes.